Community Group Questions
Read Genesis 12:10-13:2
1. What stands out to you from the text and/or the sermon?
2. Read the following quote (where Kent Hughes comments on v. 10). Discuss your own tendency to “turn to your own devices” and what has it resulted in?
Abram did the natural thing, and herein the problem lies. There is no mention that he sought God’s will in the matter…Abram’s going to Egypt was not so much an intentional sin as it was a reflexive turn to his own devices. He did not deny God; he simply forgot him. He forgot how great God is.
3. At the root of Abram’s sin is a fear of man. From the list below, how do you give in to the fear of man at times?
- Do you ever struggle with peer pressure?
- Are you over-committed?
- Do you “need” something from your spouse? Your friend?
- Is self-esteem critical for you?
- Do you ever feel like you might be exposed as an impostor?
- Are you always second-guessing decisions?
- Does life feel empty or meaningless?
- Do you get easily embarrassed?
- Do you ever lie, especially the little “white lies”?
- Are you jealous of other people?
- Do other people often make you angry or depressed?
- Do you avoid certain people?
- Why do you diet?
4. Read 2 Timothy 2:13 and Hebrews 12:1-2. How might it help you to remember these truths? What do you think your life might look like if “for every one look at yourself you took ten looks at Jesus”?